To provide a person-centred befriending service for local people with a learning disability aged 18 plus who live in Medway or Kent. Either face to face, telephone service or both. Due to Covid, this will now be via telephone, zoom, or Whatsapp Video.
To promote a sense of belonging, improve self-esteem, confidence, identity, wellbeing, and for the relief of isolation, poor mental health and, loneliness.
What activities will I be involved in?
You may be asked to befriend a person face to face or, talk to them over the telephone, depending on the person’s needs. For example, shopping, reading, socialising, job centre interview, visiting family or, home visits for a chat. You may also be asked to do fundraising on behalf of BELIVE.
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- Must have a non-judgemental attitude
- Committed for a minimum of six months
- Good sense of humour
- Confidentiality except safeguarding issues
- Ability to write/record your duties after each contact
- Available for support/training
- All volunteers will be subject to an enhanced DBS check
- Learning disability/difficulty awareness
- Good listening skills
- Willing to learn new skills
- Full driving licence
- Own transport
What might I gain from this volunteering opportunity?
- Develop new skills
- Improve confidence
- Meet new people
- Enhance your CV
- Further opportunities to develop within BELIVE
- Have fun
- Opportunity toShare transferable knowledge/skills
- Work as part of a team
What training& support will I receive?
- Core training i.e., safeguarding adults, disability awareness, confidentially, lone working, ongoing training tailored to your needs
- Ongoing 1-1 support or group support
How much time should I offer?
Having a flexible approach is essential, as this role will be dependent on the needs of the person. However, a minimum of 1-2 hours a month to be arranged between volunteer and the person. For example, half an hour a week, 1 hour a week or, fortnightly will be appreciated.
Where will I be based?
You will be required to arrange where and when you meet the person you are befriending. For example, this may be at the home, in the community or, talking over the telephone. See above.
Will my expenses be paid?
Travelling expenses will be paid on a monthly basis at a cost of £0.45p per mile for car users or, if travelling by public transport the most economic route will be paid. Plus, any other expenses by submitting receipts.
How to Apply
Please apply by completing an application form, see contact details below.
Theresa Hammond-Chair: 07977696658 or, email: firstname.lastname@example.org